Saturday, May 2, 2009

Another Harry Potter


This is a half leather binding. The leather covering the spine stops at exactly one quarter of the width of the board. That same distance matches the measurement from the corner to the end of the corner-piece. Those little corner-pieces are especially hard to pare because there is so little to hold on to.

These are the faux raised bands. To make this binding a true library binding, the signatures must be sewn on four tapes rather than the usual three. Of course, the tapes add very little definition to the spine, so I added these bands cut from binder's board:


The spine must also have a hinge. Today's bindings all have a hinge because it reduces wear on the binding, but earlier bindings do not. The paper covering the remaining half of the book is hand marbled in Italy. It looks so delicious, I just want to eat it. It's my favorite part of this book.


Here is the opened book:


This is my lovely silk endband and the leather headcap. I do such a lovely and uniform job on the sewing of the endband, if I do say so myself.


Here is a photo of the staining so beautifully modeled by the title page:

1 comment:

  1. I thought that this one would be my favorite, just because of the Italian marble paper. It is so beautiful and indeed luscious to look at. I think you are on to some wonderful and unique gift giving and possibly opening the doors to sales. I love your work and know that it really is work, but also a great way to enjoy your budding/ exploding creative genius! I love them all! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete